So I fixed that weird-sized scarf, as mentioned, and I’m in love with how it turned out. Perfect-sized cowl, bunches up in a very cool way, and super-warm. Yay!
Cast on multiples of 4. Knit all right side (odd) rows. Row 2 and 4: p1k3 across. Row 6 and 8: k2, p1k3 across to end, end with p1k1. Repeat 8 rows for pattern.
It makes a cool basket-weave texture. For this exact cowl, CO 24 sts on size 13 (9mm) needles and repeat the pattern 8 times. (This used up the whole skein). I joined the two ends as I cast-off, by knitting into loops in the original edge at the same time as the final edge – worked out well that I was doing this on the wrong side so the seam isn’t visible when I turn it right-side out. I wish I’d taken pictures as I did it but I wasn’t sure if it would work at the time, since I was straight wingin’ it. There’s probably a “right” way to do that sort of cast-off already, but I’m not looking it up because I’d like to think I invented it. You could also sew it together at the end; I just hate finishing steps.
This was a super-quick project; pretty sure I started & finished while watching Book of Eli. Might have worked on it a bit during Crazy Stupid Love as well. (It was a movie weekend over here)
Good timing, since it went from 70F on Saturday to like 20F and snowing on Sunday. *shakes fist at sky* “POOOLLLAAAAAAR VOOORTEEEEXXX!!!”